Pages

Friday, March 10, 2017

Book Club Discussion



I chose a book club at a library close to home.   The book club goes by the name "The Contemporary Book Club" and featured the book  The Other Typist by Suzanne Rindell and, luckily, I was able to read it before joining the book club. I enjoyed the book and I was anxious to participate in the discussion. The discussion was held in the juvenile programming room off to the side of the center of the library.  The atmosphere was buzzing with excitement and joy with the anticipation of meeting each other again.  The room was large with plenty of windows to allow the sunlight to peek in and set the mood for the lively discussion that was about to take place.  The table where we sat was big enough to seat everyone comfortably with room to spare.  The chairs were hard and uncomfortable, but I hardly noticed once the discussion began.  There were no snacks or drinks provided so everyone brought their own water.

The branch librarian was responsible for leading the discussion.  There were seven people in the group, including myself and everyone seemed to know each other quiet well.  I was told the group could be anywhere from 5 - 10 people, depending on the time of year and the book that was featured.  After the introductions were made (for my benefit), one particular woman explained that they were all retired teachers and they meet up for the book discussion each month.  They were a lively, intelligent group of women who had me laughing throughout the discussion.  I don't think I have ever enjoyed a book discussion more than this one.  The librarian quietly sat down which was a cue to settle down and redirect our attention to the discussion.  The librarian asked everyone if we finished the book and what did we think about it.  Two women began talking at once but one of the women respectfully let the other speak first.  The conversation flowed nicely without any one member demanding the spot light.  We were all able to share our ideas without talking over each other.

It turned out that I was the only one at the discussion who really enjoyed the book.  The other members thought the story line dragged and the main character was too confusing.  They did not like the ambiguity of the ending. The facilitator let the group pick up the discussion as we twirled around ideas, viewpoints and perspectives.  The book was a good choice for this group because there was plenty of material to cover and everyone had a different take on parts of the book.  The facilitator waited for the discussion to die down before she asked questions that we did not cover initially.  The questions mainly covered the nuances of the story or the subtle innuendos that did not carry through the major topics.  She covered the plot, summary, characters, and the motivations behind their actions.  She did not ask any yes or no questions, and even if she did, this group would not stop at just a yes or no answer.

The discussion was lively due to the unconventional book being discussed.  The story had many layers and each layer could have a different interpretation depending on the reader's perception of events.  Everyone was well represented in the discussion.  I was the only person who really liked the book due to its unconventional nature and unpredictable ending.  I was treated with respect for my viewpoints and walked away feeling I provided a different perspective to the story.  There wasn't anyone who really stole the spotlight.  There might have been a couple of women who were more animated in their interpretation of the book and a few women who were naturally more subdued.  The group worked well as a whole because of the personal dynamics represented, with a mix of extroverts and introverts.  The conversation flowed effortlessly and jumped from one topic to another in a logical order.  The discussion did not veer off into different directions or jump backward then forward.  The discussion would have been easy to follow even if I did not read the book.

The books usually discussed at the book club are mainly mysteries with a female as the main character and the time period is set in the early 1900's.  Other books chosen for the discussion include: Girl Waits with Gun by Amy Stewal and Maisie Dobbs by Jacqueline Winspear.

I enjoyed my time at the book discussion and would like to continue to participate as time will allow.  The group was warm and personable and the type of books chosen are appealing.  The facilitator lead the group with subtle guidance but mainly let the group explore the nuances of the book initially. When the discussion lapsed, she would bring up a topic not already covered. The discussion was not forced or ran into awkward silence.

5 comments:

  1. Cynthia, it sounds like you had a wonderful experience. I like how you put it that the conversation flowed effortlessly. I think there is nothing worse than when conversation is forced. It just makes everyone uncomfortable. Your facilitator sounds a lot like the one I observed, allowing the conversation to flow and not interrupting with questions.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A good flow in the conversation really helps bring a good experience to a book club. I can understand being one of the only ones who really enjoyed a book in a group, and then explaining why I liked it. I am really glad that they were respectful and open to your opinion on it. Maybe that is one of the differences in going to a book club as an adult!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Cynthia. It really sound like you had a great time during your book club experience. It makes me wish that I had actually read the book for my experience. I decided to take on just an observation role and now I feel like I would have learned a bit more if I had been more a part of the discussion.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It sounds like a fun group! It also sounds like they've been meeting together for a long time and are very comfortable with each other, which makes for a really nice meeting. Since they're mostly all retired teachers, I'm sure it was a good discussion, but it's a shame there weren't more age groups represented. Are you a similar age to the rest of the group? Could that be a factor in why you liked the book and they didn't? I wonder if the group met during a weekday or whether it was held during an evening or weekend. I think that more age groups are represented when groups meet at times other than normal workday times. Glad you liked it and I hope you get to keep going!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wonderful observations and write up! I'm glad you chose to participate and had such a wonderful time. It sounds like a wonderful group!

    ReplyDelete