Pages

Monday, January 30, 2017

Secret Shopper Summary



I approached the person at the circulation desk and asked if she could help me locate a book to read.  I explained that I just finished the Jack Reacher series and I was looking to switch to something lighter, like romance. She seemed taken by surprise with the question but she recovered nicely.  She was friendly and asked what type of books do I like to read.  I told her again that I was interested something light such as a romance novel.  She said that this was not a type of book that she is familiar with but she will try to help me locate something to take home.  She asked about my preference in authors and I said I have read many authors and I was looking for someone new.  She began typing on the computers, searching the catalog.  I told her I was looking for historical romance, maybe something in the 18th or 19th century.  She seemed at a loss as to where to search. 

A second staff member approached the desk.  She was the person I saw in the youth program room.  She asked what I was looking for and I repeated my request.  She began typing on the computer and asked if I am familiar with Goodreads?  I told her I was but she let the reply drop as she continued searching.  She was able to locate a few possible authors but I read those books already.  I explained that I am looking for a newer author with original publishing dates from the past five years.  I explained that I probably read the older books. 

As the second library staff member searched Goodreads, the circulation person went to the stacks and searched the books by the cover art and possible key words in the title.  She pulled several books by unfamiliar authors, but they did not fit the search criteria that I gave her.  She pulled at least nine titles that were not at all what I requested.  The titles included contemporary fiction, mysteries, suspense and thrillers.  She was certain the book titled The Amber Room by Steve Berry was the perfect choice.  I told her I read the book and it was not a romance novel. 

I will admit that I was very uncomfortable at this point because I felt like an imposition and too picky.  Both women were trying very hard to find a book and I was willing to accept any title that would have come close to what I requested.  The first women continued to pull books off the shelf and offered Philippa Gregory and I told her that I already read those books.  Since I was uncomfortable and I wanted the process to end.  I wandered over to the paperback section and I pulled two books by an author I haven't read and brought them to the counter.  The first woman handed me another book with flowers, top hat and gloves on the cover. I later discovered that the book was a mystery and did not fit with any of the criteria of my request.  I told her that I will take the book along with the two I had in my hand.  Both librarians seemed relieved and helped me with the process of renewing my library card. 

I felt the staff could have done a better job if they had a little training on how to search their catalog and website such as of Goodreads or Fantastic Fiction.  The library system does not subscribe to Novelist so that valuable website was not readily available. Their catalog is very user friendly and could be used as a great resource in locating books by genre and appeal.  I also felt the interview could have went better if the staff would have turned to me and just talked, instead they began typing and did not stop to look at me or converse with more than short sentences.  I feel they would have better understood what I was looking for and make me (and themselves) more comfortable with a conversation.  I do not think the second librarian understood that I was looking for a newer author in that genre or a new book even though I specifically stated my request.  It would have saved time if she did not depended on the old standby authors that have dominated the genre twenty years ago.

I was able to use their catalog once I returned home and typed historical romance in the search engine and clicked the tab with that particular branches' collection.  It was very easy to find appropriate titles.  The process would have been smoother if they would have turned the computer screen so I could view it and allow me to give my input or lead me to a catalog computer to search myself.  They also could have suggested other  alternative formats such as audiobooks or ebooks through Overdrive.  I did have hope when the second librarian asked if I ever heard of Goodreads, then we would be able to work together.  In retrospect, Goodread would not have been a great solution because I would have to take extra steps to find a book/author on the website and compare it to the collection at the library branch.  That would not be very efficient. 

Even though the staff was friendly and willing to help, they failed miserably.  The whole search process took over 25 minutes and I found my own books when I walked over to the paperbacks and searched.  I was not expecting this outcome.  I felt confident that the staff would have a better familiarity of the collection and the search capabilities of the catalog computer.  I would not go back to that library for another book recommendation.  In fact, I don't feel confident asking anyone at a library for recommendations.

4 comments:

  1. Hi Cynthia,

    In your situation I think that you hit it on the head when you stated “I felt the staff could have done a better job if they had a little training on how to search their catalog and website such as of Goodreads or Fantastic Fiction.” It sounds like they were very nice and willing to help you, but did not know how to approach the question. The more I read in this class the more I realize that reader’s advisory is a complex field that requires more than basic reference training. I am really glad that I am talking this class.

    I had a similar situation with the first person I spoke with on my secret shopper assignment. The circulation lady was helpful, but admitted 3 separate times in less than 10 minutes that she does not know how to do readers’ advisory or knows anything about horror graphic novels (the genre and book type I asked her about). I applaud her effort for trying, but her negative outlook was disheartening, and did not make me feel like I was in good hands. I was lucky that after her I was offered to speak to the branch manager who orders and reads graphic novels for that library.

    An area that I feel you did better than me is you were more direct and persistent in having the librarians find the correct book for you (even though they did not). I felt the same as you when you stated “I will admit that I was very uncomfortable at this point because I felt like an imposition and too picky.” I felt that I was not expressing exactly what I wanted, and I should have been more direct with them. However, what I took away from this part of the assignment is that it is not easy being on either side of the desk.

    Thanks for sharing your experience.

    Robert

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You guys both really nailed, I think. I also felt like I was imposing and felt uncomfortable, and I can also relate to how difficult it is to find a book for someone else. I have a teen who comes to my library regularly and is a good friend of mine. She's really super, but I have only been able to find one book in 5 years that she liked. Generally speaking, she hates everything I suggest and goes for the exact opposite, lol.
      Cynthia, I'm so saddened by your statement, "In fact, I don't feel confident asking anyone at a library for recommendations." It's awful to end with that feeling and lack of confidence.
      So far, I'm not seeing very many people who had a successful experience with this - no wonder many people have developed a viewpoint that libraries are unhelpful. This makes it awfully hard to advocate for libraries.

      Delete
    2. There's hope guys! That's why we're training a whole new generation of RA librarians who can remedy this!

      Delete
  2. I feel a little put off by the fact that they asked you if you were familiar with GoodReads. I may be a little touchy, but that seemed like a sort of "Go Google/GoodReads and do it yourself" sort of attitude. I wasn't there to see the transaction, but for some reason reading that in your summary just bugged me. Seems like they may want to have a staff meeting at that library.

    ReplyDelete