Pages

Monday, January 16, 2017

My Personal Reading Profile

It is all about the mood.  Like every other person on the planet, I feel a variety of emotions: happy, sad, excitement, envy, surprise, joy, anxiety, etc. The spectrum of my emotions are conveyed in the book I choose to read at any given time.  Saricks (2009) organizes the appeal of genres in four categories: Adrenaline Genres, Emotions Genres, Intellect Genres, and Landscape Genres.  My preferences span all four categories and are determined by my mood throughout the year.

I like to read anything by Jane Austin or Diana Gabaldon when I am in a nostalgic, romantic mood.  I usually reach for historical fiction during the winter months when I want to be swept away from the snow and ice and embark on a journey in a distant time with characters developing close attachments. In the spring and summer, I feel more excitement and energy so the books I am drawn to are usually action packed suspense/thrillers/adventure.  There is nothing like getting the heart pumping and the mind working trying to figure out the outcome of a situation.  I am drawn to authors such as, Lee Child, Douglas Preston, Clive Cussler, Steve Berry, Dan Brown, Gillian Flynn and Paula Hawkins.  When I have time to binge read, I choose a series with interesting characters (Pendergast, Jack Reacher, or Dirk Pitt) and read as many books in a series as I can before summer comes to an end. If I do not finish a series, I know it will be waiting for me the next time I am in the mood to jump back into that genre.

I like to read horror stories, think Stephen King and Dean Koontz, when the weather starts to turn into fall.  There is something about the wind whistling and pushing against the windows that sets the tone for a good scare.  I will follow up with fantasy novels such as Harry Potter or the Hobbit to counter the perpetual chills I get from reading horror stories.  Fantasy stories help to glide me away from reality for a little while and helps to bring a fresh perspective to real world events when I am ready to rejoin the world of muggles. 

Lastly, I have to admit that I love non-fiction.  I read non-fiction books all the time, I can't help it.  I am interested in anything health related, computers/technology, science, politics, photography and history, whatever piques my interest at the time. I am also open to suggestions and recommendations from family, friends and library staff.  I find it very beneficial to listen to people I know to give advice on what to read next.

9 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have never thought about looking at the genre of books I read based on what season it is, that is a unique perspective. I love so many of the authors you listed!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I never thought about how mood and seasons effect my book choices until I began writing my Person Reading Profile. I am pleased that we like many of the same authors. I will keep tabs on your blog for possible recommendations for future books.

      Delete
  3. A friend and I were just talking about Clive Cussler and how we have never read one of his books before despite how many popular books he has written! I hope to read one soon though. Do you have a favorite title?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Darcy,
    I am glad to hear you are interested in Clive Cussler. I do not really have a favorite, they are all very entertaining if you like an action packed adventure.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You're so right that our reading shifts with the seasons! I hadn't really thought about it much, but now that you mention it I can totally see it. I agree that the books I read in the summer tend to be more action-oriented and less introspective than the winter reads. No wonder my reading is all mixed up (as well as my brain), the seasons are all mixed up! My lilac bush actually has new leaves sprouting. In January. Wrong.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I feel the same about my reading preferences, and I do think the seasons do have an effect on what I do like to read. I am big of Dean Koontz and I've started reading his Odd Thomas series as I watched the movie when it came out on Netflix. I'm hoping I'll have a little more time to read more of his books and branch out beyond that series.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Cynthia, I love the mood reading that you described in your reading profile. Now I am wondering if my interests in a book is the result of the seasons or just my mood? I am going to be more aware of those two elements when I pick out my next book for leisure.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love how you organized your reading preferences by season! I don't think I sub-consciously do it, but I'm sure I do the same thing. Sometimes I get in my little seasonal ruts!

    ReplyDelete